How set control property on another page

Hopefully I can ask this with somewhat correct terminology as I’m a little lost. Like many, I have a main page with navigation buttons and a page browser control to load panels into with different layouts for different purposes (cameras, thermostats etc) based on the navigation button pressed. This is simple to implement and works great.

But I have a dashboard panel that appears as one of the panels in that main page browser control that also has button controls on it that I want to use as shortcuts that will change the main page browsers page property as well as a property for a control on the new panel I want to now display.

In this case the dashboard panel has a button that should open my camera.xaml page (all my security cameras) in the my main pages page browser and set the cameras.xaml media element control (main camera display) source property to display a specific camera. I can’t figure out how to reference the applicable properties on either the main page or the camera.xaml page to be displayed when I’m acting on a button click from the short cut (which is ultimately on a page of its own). I hope that made sense.

I tried an event trigger/property setters for the shortcut button but it doesn’t see the elements (and properties) for the other pages. Is my approach wrong? Do I need a separate variable or virtual device to hold the value and then have everything use an appropriate data trigger to change the respective properties I want to change?

Just not fully understanding everything yet… Not familiar with scripts but would that be more of a solution to be called by the button click to make all the appropriate changes?

You cannot directly set a control property from another page. What you can do is add a Virtual Device / Virtual Variable. Then set that variable on 1 page & add DataTriggers that handle changes to that variable from your other page.

Thanks for the quick response Bill! I’ll proceed with that method.