How to open up light detail page to adjust light parameters

I am halfway through with the dashboard but currently stuck with a specific feature. I have managed to set triggers to switch ON/OFF the lights (see below).

How do I open up the light details (to control the dimming, color temp., pick color, etc.) when I click on the 3-dots of each tile? I did not use the default light tile template. I customized them.

And instead of using the dimmer slider, color picker and color temperature picker, can I create buttons to represent each of the specific control parameters? for example: 30% brightness button, 60% brightness button, 100% brightness button, Warmwhite button, coolwhite button, daylight button, blue color button, red color button, etc. ?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Add a MethodAction that calls OpenDetails on the “Tile”. It’s important to assign the Tile a name or else it will not appear in the TargetName dropdown. The default templates simply name the Tile “Tile” but you can name it whatever.

(As with a lot of things, don’t forget to use the default files in a new project or app backup as a help resource.)

I tried your method but the “Tile” did not appear in the TargetName dropdown. By the way I did not use the LightTile.xaml template. I created the dashboard from scratch using buttons.

Can I create something like a popup window everytime I click on the 3-dots button? And I would like the popup window to contain buttons to trigger specific brightness level, say 30/60/100% instead of using the slider. And buttons to trigger specific color temperature, say Warm White/Cool White/Daylight. Is this possible? Can you show me the way? Thanks a lot.

Did you assign a name to it?

I assigned but didn’t appear. As I said, that probably because I did not use the LightTile.xaml template to design my tiles. I did everything from scratch using buttons. Anyway I figured how to add popups to each 3-dots I click on. I am going with the popup feature to go into individual tile to control their brightness level, color temperature and color pick.

How can I assign preset brightness level, color temperature and specific color into buttons in the popup windows, instead of using the default slider, color wheel and color temperature picker in the designer control menu? I hope you get what I mean.

That doesn’t make any difference whether you started from scratch or not. So long as you assigned a name to the root “Tile” object in the file it will appear in the dropdowns.

Will you please attach a screenshot exactly like I did so I can see that you did in fact Name your Tile object. I’d like to see exactly what it is that you are doing differently.

Hi Bill, when I open up the default LightTile.xaml template, I am able to see exactly like what you described. See below:

However when I go to the 3-dots button on my customised page Lightings.xaml, there is no “tile” in the TargetName dropdown. See below:

I think I am doing something wrong here.

I am also keen to know if I can create popups like the below illustration each time any of the 3-dots in any of the tiles are clicked. Instead of the slider and color pickers, can I do it in buttons forms? This would be better in a way I can achieve better brightness and color uniformity among several selected lights. The result of the default color wheel or color picker may not be consistent throughout several lights if you know what I mean.

I’m confused. Are you not using a DeviceBrowser control? From your screenshot at the top I had assumed that you were using a DeviceBrowser control on a custom page. It looks you aren’t even using Tiles at all. You just created separate controls for each device. You could really save a lot of work by using a DeviceBrowser control. And you don’t call Tile.OpenDetails in your custom page. You call it in the Tile XAML file itself. It’s just like everything else. You can’t access Page1.xaml controls from Page2.xaml That’s why you are not seeing “Tile” in the dropdown.

Based on what it appears you are doing you should be using App.OpenDeviceDetails. You can read more about all of the various page navigation methods here.