Looking for a guide or help with MCE Controller and The Home Remote

If you’re going to invest in an iTach or IP2IR, find yourselves a GC-IRL IR Learner. Well worth the investment IMhO.

1 Like

OOOH now we are getting into the meat and potatoes. IR learning has forever enamored me, when I first got into home theater back in 2000, I found an RCA backlit remote with an LCD screen and IR learning. I couldn’t believe how such an amazing and robust of a feature could take so long to come around, from that point forward, I would never settle for a remote without learning abilities. Thank you for this information @LJR !

Edit: So I looked it up and found THIS it appears to plug into the serial port, how does it store and transfer to IP2IR? does it transfer to HR? also, do you know if this plays well with EventGhost? I am going to be getting into EG for its ability to interface different technologies seamlessly. ie: ir to IFTTT (if this then that) or AHK to IFTTT and many other awesome abilities like using an Elgato stream deck to send google assistant commands to turn on a smart light or other home automation events…EG is VERY robust in it’s abilities. I am not doing the software justice trying to explain the benefits of using it. I will say it all started with me educating myself on the Stream Deck as a quick launch pad on my end table for the most played games and programs on my HTPC, basically as a wired LCD remote control and the rabbit hole brought me here. I am still getting the Stream Deck in the near future, as an X-as gift to myself. lol
Again, sorry for getting off topic. I love having near limitless power over my HTPC and I love my HTPC and the never-ending project of customizing and tweaking it. and most of all, I love talking about my home theater connected HTPC.

PS, I gotta say, I have never felt so welcome by a community as this one, I feel at home here. Thank you all for such kindness and patience with my noobishness

That’s the one, although I don’t recall paying that much (though that’s always the case these days).

The dongle doesn’t store the codes; you connect it to the PC and run Global Cache’s iLearn software.which will produce the hex codes codes and even the GC sendir string.

1 Like

LOL! It is always the case, (thanks inflation) :roll_eyes: I appreciate the explanation for the dongle btw. I will definitely be investing in this at the same time as I get the GC IR2IP.