App still supported?

Is this app still supported? Just asking because I haven’t seen any new device manufacturers or other functionality added in some time.

Been hoping to see Samsung Smart TV control support, Alarm.com, support for device agnostic design (ex one .hrp file that fits an iPhone Pro and Pro Max, iPad, etc…

Love the app, just want to integrate it with more of our smart home!

Thanks!!

Yes. There was a release just this past week. It added support for Netatmo Security Cameras. Although I had to roll it back almost immediately:)

I wouldn’t expect a new device integration every month. There’s probably only going to be a few a year. They take time to develop & they cost money. New devices aren’t going to be added unless there’s a large demand or someone is funding it. It doesn’t make sense for us to spend $$$ and days of our time adding things for just a handful of people.

2 years ago I added support for LG TVs. That was only because a few individuals actually pooled some money together to buy me a TV. Hint…if you want to see Samsung support, buy me a Samsung TV:)
https://groups.google.com/g/thehomeremote/c/gvxqi6e8-mg/m/Dq6fBN82AQAJ

Also, when it comes to development, it’s not just new device integrations that require programming. There’s more to it. There’s new features, bug fixes, performance improvements, expanded phone & tablet compatibility, etc. Not to mention the time it takes to support.

I don’t think this was a bad year in terms of new integrations. Home Assistant & ONVIF were added. Those were 2 pretty big ones that a lot of people have been wanting.

I suggest you look at the release notes to see everything that’s happened this year.

I’m not always on top of updating the release notes on the website. Another place you can check is the Apple App Store. They also keep a running log of the release note history.

The apps/Designer already supports this. Those settings in the Designer are just for the simulator. A single HRP can be shared with all of your phones & tablets. When you publish the HRP to the app, it only copies those XAML files. It doesn’t care what your simulator settings are. Every HRP I design works on all of my devices. That includes my Android Galaxy S9 phone & my Apple iPad Air tablet. Those default templates were designed to look good on all phones & tablets. When you design your pages, design them in a way so they look good on all screen sizes. Use Grids & controls like the DeviceBrowser.

Thanks Bill.

Appreciate the response. Totally get it. I can probably get you a Samsung TV :slightly_smiling_face:

For the device agnostic, when I build an HRP for my phone (ex a full width button) it’s too wide on my wife’s smaller iPhone. I suspect it’s cuz we’re using Pixel dimensions for elements. Is there a way to use percentages, or poll to see the device type being used and hide certain buttons (say for instance display a button only on iPhone, not iPad)?

As an example, in the attached screenshot, the three buttons are full width in a smaller iPhone, but have that gap on the right side when using a larger iPhone Pro Max. Hopefully there’s a trick I’m missing!!

Use Grids. Row & Column sizes can be percentages. Have your buttons just fill or center in the available area.

1 Like

Is the app still being supported in 2023?

Sorry to say, but it seem support, and development has stopped. No updates for a long time and no support.

Previous posts have said dev would slow for awhile. Would be a shame if it ever stopped because I’m not aware of anything as powerful or modern as Home Remote. It’s honestly too cheap for what it does! I searched all over for something to integrate a full home theater setup into and as far as I’ve found this is the only one.

Yes, it’s a shame. Given that there doesn’t seem to have been any dev posts for two years I suspect future development is unlikely. Big shame

Being optimistic, I’d rather enumerate what makes Home Remote so powerful, to show why continued development would be wanted:

• Excellent depth of customization. I can add a device from an Android app and have it work, or fully write a custom plugin, and everywhere in between
  • Device compatibility. Having routines that can reach out over a mix of IP, IR, rs232, etc. Super powerful.
  • IR compatibility. I’ve saved so much being able to add old obscure AV devices through Home Remote and Global Cache plugins instead of tracking down old remotes.
  • remote portability. I just email a new designer version to the household and everyone gets the latest! How cool is that
  • no external services. No logins to Google or Apple or whomever. It just works if you have that designer file.
  • user customizable UI. I made a “main controller” that reaches out to three different devices depending on function from a single screen. (Streamer, TV, AV receiver, etc.)
  • user plugins. Even without updates to the built in plugins, I still have the option to write one myself.

I pay for very few apps, but I’ve paid for this one. I’d subscribe if i had to.

3 Likes