Designer Hangs on Navigation to Home.xaml

In the attached .hrp, the designer opens on the Home.xaml page. When I navigate to a different page everything is fine. However, when I attempt to navigate back to the Home.xaml page, the designer hangs.

How are you going back to Home.xaml? Are you using a MethodAction of App.GoToPage “Home.xaml”? Is that not working for you?

The issue is in the designer, not at run time. To navigate in designer I double click on the desired page in the Explorer window, and it displays for editing. When I double click on the Home.xaml page in the Explorer window the designer hangs.

Oh, I see. I’ll look into it & get back to you.

1 Like

I’m finding that it does hang but it eventually loads. It’s not crashing for me. My guess is that it could have something to do with all of the PageBrowsers in Home.xaml. It has to load all of those files.

Many thanks. You are correct, I need to be more patient. Based on you comments, I’ll also remove some of the browser pages I no longer use. That should speed things up a little.

On a related topic, I’m hoping I get one more question regarding the behavior of the home page. If you look at the last home page browser entry it is for ROKUKeypad_Popup. Note the displayed image (when the designer is first opened), has a completely different aspect ratio than the actual ROKUKeypadPopup.xaml page. Is that an issue, or is it something I don’t understand?

The other thing you can consider doing is changing the Page property on the PageBrowser at runtime with Binding or Triggers. Delete a bunch of your current fixed Page controls & have them all share one. If there’s never a scenario where you need to display them all at the same time, that’s probably what you should do.

Every page layout is different. It all depends on your design. For example, Grid layouts can adjust given the current screen size. Canvas layouts are fixed. You need to look at your layout & how you are positioning items. Look at your Grid.ColumnDefinitions & RowDefinitions. Star (*) are proportional. Values without * are an absolute size. Auto automatically adjust to fit content.