Help with LG webOS Remote buttons

Hello all,

I’m new to THR and slowly picking up the tricks and setup of the Designer as I test out my LG TV, but I have to say I’m loving the functionality and the potential here is incredible. I have added my LG TV and setup the basic functionality (power, navigation, menus, etc). All good!

However, I’m not a coder or scripting guru so I’d like some help regarding a few functions/buttons on my LG remote if anyone has the time?

There are a few functions I’d like to mimic from my LG remote (EDIT: TV is actually a C8 OLED from 2018 so is on webOS 4.x). Unfortunately, I’m either missing something simple or it’s beyond my capabilities at the moment. If anyone has some pointers (or even better, exact solutions/examples) for the following, that would be magic!..

1. LG remote button: Source/Input:
When this button is pressed it pops up a list of all available source inputs (HDMI, USB, LiveTV, etc). From this list, I can choose the desired input.

*My failed attempt: Created a simple button and tried to trigger the above, but found that the binding “LgSmartTv.InputSource” only displays the current input (handy for a label) - it does not switch inputs or popup a source list. Also tried binding “LgSmartTv.MediaCommand” but quickly found there is no input/source command available in the LG list.

*Desired functionality: Either or both of…
-Button pops up onscreen source list (just like the remote button)
-Button allows for direct selection of input by name/number/ID (either in script or event trigger. i.e. “HDMI1”, “USB1”, etc)

2. Direct trigger for webOS apps (youtube, netflix, etc):
The LG remote allows ‘Quick Access’ to installed apps by allowing you to assign them to a number key (a shortcut/hotkey). When long-pressed the app loads instantly.

*My failed attempt: I read that there is currently no long-press button functionality, so I followed a few other forum posts here on webOS triggers and attempting to load apps. I got as far as creating a button with a MethodAction (App) attempting to point to a URI link - however I have no idea what the URI is for any app on the webOS. Is there a list somewhere or a way of snooping that info from the webOS?

*Desired functionality:
-Button triggers the desired webOS app - either by script/plugin or correct App URI.

Any help/tips on these functions would be much appreciated.

I really like the flexibility and home-based solution that THR provides and I’d rather avoid Google Home Assistant if possible (I don’t fancy paying them so they can snoop my data).

Thanks in advance!!
Shugs

Shuggy,
I had this exact TV. To answer your questions:

1. Actions (on button click) → DataAction → Binding {Binding.LGSmartTV.InputSource}
    Value → HDMI1 or HDMI2 or NETFLIX
  2. each one of the webos apps is like an input

Examples below. Link to an example from my remote:

1 Like

Hey Richard,
Thanks for your reply and your great example. As it happens the ‘Netflix’ value is exactly what I already had setup in my trigger but the remote always output “Netflix cannot be found”. Weirdly, when I copied the Netflix trigger out of your example .hrp into mine, the Netflix app worked fine!

Anyway, thanks very much for also providing your example - the multiple apps you have setup allowed me to root around in the various triggers to see what the app names were (which was my main problem). I saw your Discovery+ addon triggered via: “discovery+ : Stream TV Shows, Originals and More”). Tallying that with the LG app website I realised why some of my other triggers don’t work - because they have to have the full text name listed, regardless of how ridiculous it might be. I’ve fixed and tested every input and all is good with the world now, so thanks for your help.

P.S: Very nice Denon AVR BTW. I’m currently looking for a new AVR as my ancient Pioneer finally died the other week but I can’t afford to stump up the fat dollars atm. Sigh

Yes, the input has to be the full name of the input. I couldn’t find anything online, but if you press the Home button on the LG remote, the pop up shows the various apps. I waited on each of them to see the exact name, as they scrolled across, and I think it may also case sensitive.

Yeah, they’re definitely case sensitive. As you say, they have to be exactly as the app text is written. Thanks for pointing out that the full name scrolls on the LG app list - handy for future ref. I’ve been using the LG app website and using their search function.