Home Assistant - WebView on older Android

I’m trying to port my existing Vera-based project which is running on an older Android device (ZipaTile Gen 1) to a HomeAssistant-based environment. The problem I’m facing is that the Zipatile does not support WebView, which is required for the initial authentication (screenshot below). I’ve noticed there’s been earlier discussions around the use of tokens, but I’m not sure if this is currently an option? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Can’t you sideload the latest WebView APK?

Yes I did try that but it doesn’t seem to have any effect. Whitelisting the local ip range in home assistant still brings up the prompt on the ZipaTile, although it does seem to bypass it on non-android devices.

Try reinstalling it again. If you have the latest WebView installed it should work. I don’t really have any other ways around this for you.

Hi Bill, I had some success by also installing Chrome on the Zipatile but I can only successfully load the HomeAssistant log in screen with another app (HomeHabit).The Home Remote (and Home Assistant’s native app) both get stuck on the “Initializing” screen.

My ignorant question, as I have very little experience with Android, is: it possible to force HomeRemote to use Chrome to render the log in page?

Not that I’m aware of. I’m pretty sure it uses the System WebView. I really don’t think you have the latest version installed.

Have you verified which version of the “Android System WebView” is actually running?

Hey Bill, confirmed it’s the latest version.

Not sure if this is of any help, but the developer of HomeHabit is using “Custom Tabs” to get past the initial authentication handshake and this seems to be working perfectly on the ZipaTile.

Go to Settings->Apps(App Info)->Android System WebView

Take a picture of that post it if you can.

There’s probably not going to be much I can do about this. It isn’t something I feel like putting hours of work into unless you care to pay for my time. There just aren’t that many people running Home Remote w/ Home Assistant on a ZipaTile. Time would be better spent working on other features/issues.

Maybe try loading a custom ROM with a newer Android OS. The latest is Android 12. I wouldn’t be surprised if your ZipaTile is still running Android 4 which is pretty out of date.

For sure, no expectation here that you would do that. Just sharing this here in case anyone in the future stumbles upon a similar problem. I eventually want to get rid of the Zipa tiles, but I’ve spent a lot of money on them a few years back and they look really good on the wall :slight_smile:

Did you succeded in setting the Zipatile with HomeHabit without Webview ?? I’m stucked in the exact same step…

Yes, after sideloading Chrome, I can successfully authenticate and HomeHabit then works perfectly fine.

Did anyone find a work around for the web view issue in old Android tablets? I am stuck at the same home assistant login screen with Home Remote. I do have Homehabit working but Home Remote is so much better for what I am trying to do.