How to handle cameras for both LAN and WAN access?

Hi

For some reason due to my router or ISP whilst I am at home, I cannot use my domain name or static WAN IP address to access resources on my LAN.

So for example to access an IP camera from an app at home I would use the cameras internal LAN IP address.

However when I am remote I obviously then cannot access that camera from the app.

I was think I might have to create one camera page with LAN IPs and another camera page using my WAN IP / domain URL.

In Imperihome when you add a camera device you specify both the LAN and WAN address details and the app knows if you are local or remote and switches accordingly.

I’m not sure how to do this in Home Remote.

Thanks.

This isn’t currently possible for the IP Camera device. That device can only be assigned a single address. For the time being, you’ll have to create separate objects for each.

1 Like

OK thanks I will do that then.

The reason you can’t use the WAN address when on you LAN, is that is the route address to go to the outside world. Think of it (the WAN address) as your front door. When you are outside your house, you walk into the front door, and when you are inside your house, you walk outside.

What you are trying to do is walk outside, then come back in. In order to do this, you would make a “hairpin” turn. Go out and come back. This is usually done in the router, with an entry in the route table, device specific, of course. Generally this feature is available on enterprise or business level routers and not home routers.

Google “hairpin route”

1 Like