How to troubleshoot unusual issues

Is there anything available (such as a log) that can be used to help troubleshoot issues that only seem to occur on a target device (not in the simulator)?

When I launch my remote on a target tablet device, while it is initializing I see an object reference error show. I haven’t discovered anything that is not working (yet) so for now it’s just more of an annoyance to my OCD to see it. Is there anything that might help me track it down? I haven’t seen this when running in the simulator.

There isn’t a log available to troubleshoot an issue like this. The error is probably on your start page so I would probably just delete parts of that page to see if you can find which control/action is causing it. Create a backup of the original file first. Once you find the culprit then you can fix the issue in your original backup.

If you want to email me the project I’d also be happy to take a look. I can hook it up to my debugging tools to find out exactly what’s triggering the message.

I finally found it - turns out I had somehow added a PlugIn - likely when I was poking around trying to find a workaround for something else.

Looks like I’m not out of the woods yet. Seems I still have an issue somewhere that causes THR to crash when running on my tablets. At least once it even triggered a restart of the tablet. I think I’ve narrowed it down to one page that seems to always be the one loaded when it crashes, but that page has around 100 controls on it, including 7 video streams and around 50 controls showing current status.

Other than starting to delete groups of controls until I see the issue go away, is there another approach I could take to isolate the issue?

Posted too quickly - I was able to narrow the issue down to the video streams. Going to see if it’s one of them in particular that causes the issue. Are there any known issues with video streams causing the app to crash?

Not that I’m aware of but it could vary by device.

I’ve narrowed it down and it seems to not like my Hikvision cameras

If you are using RTSP or ONVIF streams, you need to make sure they are either H.264 or JPEG. H.265 is not currently supported. Also make sure the stream resolution is not greater than that of the tablet. I have a cheap Amazon Fire 7 tablet that has a very low pixel resolution. I cannot run my hi-res streaming profiles on it. It can only handle low-res profiles. You need to check the pixel resolution of both the stream & tablet.

Thank you! The resolution seemed to be the issue. They were all set to H.264 but using channel 1 which is high resolution. I deleted all the ones auto-created through ONVIF and set them all up manually connecting to the low-res channel 2 and it seems to be stable now.

I have a bunch of camera thumbnails on this page and clicking one shows a larger popup - I may try to see what happens if I set the popup to try to use a higher resolution. Troubleshooting any issues there will be much easier since I’ll know exactly which one is giving an issue.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on this!

It doesn’t matter about the size of thumbnail or popup. It’s not the point size of the control / MediaElement. It’s the actual pixel resolution of the tablet. If your tablet for example is 1024x768, it will not be able to decode & render a 1920x1080 stream.

You really need to find the actual resolution of the tablet & video stream. It’s got nothing to do with your Home Remote project.

OK, I understand. I was reading another thread about pixel size vs DP - which do I need to look at for this? My tablet has a resolution of 1920x1200, but the DP is 1280x800. Which one does the stream resolution need to be constrained to fall within?

One other question about camera streams…
I noticed when using the ONVIF discovery for cameras, it would identify multiple streams within the camera parent. But since the camera parent seems to be where the camera channel is specified, I don’t understand how the streams would differ. Now that I’ve manually configured all my cams, they are all setup with an IPCamera parent and once Device child for the stream. So if I wanted multiple streams from a camera I would set them up as separate cameras each with one stream, right? Trying to understand if there is a scenario where a camera would have multiple devices under it - maybe if you wanted one to represent the video and another a still image?

For this streaming issue, it’s the actual pixel size, not DP. So it’s the 1920 x1200 that’s important.

Device discovery will generate a device object for each ONVIF Profile. It’s really up to you whether you actually use all devices. Each profile / device will be guaranteed to have a VideoStream capability. Optionally the device might also have the ImageSnapshot capability. The Home Remote will add the ImageSnapshot capability to the device object if the ONVIF profile supports GetSnapshotUri.

Using multiple profiles in your project for a single ONVIF camera probably isn’t necessary. Where that can really help out is for ONVIF DVR systems. ONVIF DVR systems can have multiple cameras attached so each profile could represent a different camera.

http://www.onvif.org/ver10/media/wsdl/media.wsdl

Thanks for the detailed explanation and the quick responses. All of my hikvision cameras had high resolutions on the main stream and since switching THR over to the substreams it’s working flawlessly.