Hubitat integration with custom Device Code and Maker API

Hi All!
I had an issue today integrating the Aeotec Home Energy Monitor (HEM) using a user created Device Code. I figured it out but, I wanted to create this post to hopefully help others.

Short story: I had the HEM paired to Smartthings but, it recently broke from an update on the hub and there seems to be no fix coming soon. I decided to move the HEM over to Hubitat since the Device Code was just updated only days ago by the developer. I paired the HEM to Hubitat with the custom Device Code and in hubitat, it was working great. I added the HEM into Maker API, sync’ed my devices, and fixed my bindings in HR.

Problem I had: When I started the run-time, the Hubitat devices started showing data, then went blank, then showed data, and went blank again… all within about 3 seconds… After this point, no data from any of my hubitat devices was working.
Here’s what the Maker API log looked like when Home Remote is started

I believe this was an issue with the custom device code attributes and Maker API, not HomeRemote. The big problem here, in my mind, is that this one device broke the entire integration. Someone who has a lot of devices already paired to their hub and is having trouble, might not know that a single device could be the cause of their issue.

Problem Solved: The custom device code has some cool extra features to work with the energy monitor. Specifically, an attribute for Cost. It seems this was the problem. If I use a built-in device code I don’t have any issues. Or, if I modify the custom device code to remove these not-so-common attributes, I don’t have any issues.

I’m guessing the thing to do would be to ask for help from the developer of Maker API?

Looking at the Maker API log, does that error “null on line 633” point to the device specifically? How would you know?

Sorry for the long-winded post!

Hubitat owns that code so I have no idea what’s being done on line 633. This is probably an issue you need to bring up with them. When doing so I’d share with them the actual URLS that no longer work. For example, if the “devices” & “devices/all” endpoints fail let them know that. Or if it’s only the URLs for that specific HEM device let them know.