Is it possible to bind to an id rather than device name

This may be not possible because of the way I started from the MQTT plugin - somewhat modified from the example provided

I have well over 100 devices in node red which on synchronise fill in deviceId in the form 55:0. The first part is my unique number and the second part I currently don’t use - always 0 at the moment
I also fill in device.DisplayName with my editable user friendly name eg “Living Room”

Homeremote seems to populate its device array using keys that are my user friendly names at the moment of synchronisation - but with spaces removed -eg “LivingRoom”

All the bindings seem to refer to this engineered name - which may change if I sync again and the device name has been edited. The id won’t change though.

If I could handle the pain -almost start afresh- I could have saved my unique fixed id as the deviceName and created my own attribute for my user friendly name. Its too late to do that now I think.

I have a number of cases where I’d like to display or work with a checklist of names - where I only have a list of ids.
I could get the names from the devices (proven that using script) but using bindings I cannot find a way of getting device info when I know the device id but not the name.

Is this even possible?

Thanks
Andy

You can only bind using the device Names. One of the reasons it was set up this way is because device Id’s are not guaranteed to be unique between different sources.

You can override this automatic Name generation by setting the Name property on the device object during synchronization. Most of the examples in this forum only set the DisplayName. If it’s not supplied, like in those examples, it will automatically be generated.

Thanks. I tried the setting device.Name in synchronisation - it does work in the sense the devices have my choice of name rather than the auto generated one but of course it breaks all the devices that use named bindings.

It wouldn’t help though as the one thing I want to change is the device name that appears at the top of detail pages. It would be useful if this could be configured - eg @Device.DisplayName.
Thanks for replying.
Andy