Make Direction Pad Buttons Work on Multiple Devices (like CEC over HDMI)

I’m not sure how to ask this…

Background:
Because of the voodoo magic of CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) over HDMI, I can use the direction pad buttons on my physical LG remote to control my Apple TV 4K and I can use the direction commands on my physical Apple remote to control my LG tv. So far so good.

Problem:
I don’t understand how to bind my direction pad buttons on my Home Remote design to act the same way: that the direction pad buttons should act on the Apple TV and act on the LG TV, depending on the context of what I’m doing. It would be a pain if I needed to have two d-pad groups (one for LG tv and another for Apple TV). I’m sure that there’s a way to do this, but I am lost.

I have tried binding my d-pad buttons to LgSmartTv.MediaCommand (and when I do, they work on the LG tv, but not the Apple TV 4K). I have also tried binding my d-pad buttons to AppleMediaManager.MediaCommand (and when I do, the work on the Apple TV 4K, but not on the LG tv).

Please don’t laugh at my HRP. It’s far from done.

Strickland_2020-07-10.hrp (83.1 KB)

What you have should work. For CEC navigation, you should be able to use the LG TV device commands DirectionUp, DirectionDown, etc. I tested your project on my TV & those commands were able to navigate my attached Nexus Player Android TV OS. So it’s possible CEC control over IP may only work for the newer models. My TV is a 2019 model. It’s model number is 49UM7300.

My LG tv is a 55UM7300, manufactured in January 2020. So you and I basically have the same tv, just a slightly different size.

That’s strange. Not sure why it would work for the Nexus Player but not Apple TV.

Since 98% of the time, my need to use the d-pad and transport buttons is only for the Apple TV, I can bind them all to AppleMediaManager.MediaCommand and just add a another page just for d-pad control of the LG. That’s not that big of a sacrifice.

I’m still learning the new 3.x Designer system. So much is so new (to me) and light-years more powerful. If I just started from 3.x and then tried to learn 2.x I would probably say that 3.x is easier, because so much is done for you under the hood. But I learned 2.x first and now finding my way around 3.x is… a challenge for me.

I’m enormously grateful for all the improvements. I basically got my remote working in 2018 and never looked at Home Remote again until a few weeks ago when I got a new tv. I’m shocked (and very pleased) by the great improvements made to a product which was already great.

1 Like