Negative Iconspacing, works in designer not on Android

Using a “button” to combine a text “overlay” of a button icon using HR 4.4.7.0. IF I use “-” number in the iconspacing field to cause the text to be overlaid on an icon (looks like a button) with iconposition set as top, the result is good in a designer run (windows 10)… get the text centered on top of the icon. However, running the resulting hrp on an android (version 7.1.1) results in no icon or text display. It appears the parser or otherwise can’t handle the negative number. No errors appear on the screen (not sure I know where to look). Is this “technique” valid? Is some other setting required? Known issue / difference between windows versus android? Thanks for any assistance on this.

The Designer/Simulator is a Windows app styled to look like Android. Underneath the hood it is still Windows. You may find a few inconsistencies here & there. I don’t know that I have a perfect solution for you but you are probably going to have to go into your design to tweak it to find something that works.

:frowning: not sure that I understand. Perhaps I have worded my description badly. When the HRP is run on a android tablet, the result is a display that shows nothing… neither the icon nor the text yet some form of button exists as the resulting function does activate when touched in the “expected” display area. Its too bad if this is a “unavoidable inconsistency”. It would / could cut the number of “button definitions” used in an xaml by up to half as one would not need to use an image button and a button entity to cause the equivalent.

I think I see what you are saying… basically that the “core” is windows trying to make a “unified world” across various platforms… but ultimately they haven’t totally succeeded in some areas. Thus unless something is done by microsoft / windows, this type of thing / inconsistency is unlikely to ever be address. :frowning:

Icons & Text were never really meant to overlay on top of each other. I’m not saying support will never be added for negative values, but that IconSpacing field in the Designer was only originally intended to allow positive values. The editor in the Designer should probably only accept positive values.

This is something that could possibly be addressed in a future release. However, for the time being I recommend finding another work-around. If you want to reduce your control footprint in the XAML page, my recommendation would be to combine the text & image with an image design tool like GIMP. Then you can link that new image to your Home Remote design & accomplish your task with only 1 control instead of 2.

thanks for the info / reply. Probably not going to go around editing a bunch of buttons (hundreds) to get a text overlay which could change again at any time in the future. I guess it is what it is. Note that the spacing at 0 does not even come close to being near the icon so that spacing appears to be almost useless in position relationship… at least my view. Anyway, I am probably spoiled by an “old app” that readily allowed labeling over buttons and my expectations were great… probably greater than they should have been.

Look at the actual icon with an image viewer like MS Paint to see the actual contents of the image. Your images themselves probably have padding on them (many do). I’m 99.9% certain that’s what is going on. Icon spacing with 0 was tested pretty thoroughly. Icon & Text will be touching each other with 0 spacing.

You are probably right, will check. I am thinking not but I can’t say that I have looked closely at the button “pegs” that have been used.
Again thanks for the follow ups / info.