Pages with embedded web browser crashes app on Android Lollipop

@bill

Hi Bill

I just submitted an in app crash report on one of my Android tablets.

I have four Amazon Fire 7 Gen 5 tablets around the house, rooted with Android Lollopop V5.1.1.

Yes I know its an old version of Android but at the time when I rooted these tablets to get rid of the crappy Amazon Fire OS it was the only ROM available.

Below is a screen shot of the tablets system info screen.

So I have created several pages now that have the web browser embedded in to them. For my Kodi web players and also a Youtube music web player.

When I click my custom tile that uses GoTo Page to launch the correct web browser page etc the app immediately crashes.

I have Google Chrome installed and updated on the tablet and I have ensured that it is the default app in Android for the browser and that the native inbuilt browser app that is called “Browser” is also disabled. However this hasn’t fixed the problem.

I can in Chrome browser proper browse to the Youtube music web player and also to my Kodi web GUI OK.

I have one newer tablet a 7 inch Lenovo that is not rooted, running Android 8.1.0 Oreo and the pages with embedded web browsers do not crash out on this tablet and work OK.

This was the tablet I was testing with when I created these web pages.

But now I have tried them on my other tablets they don’t work. :sob:

Can anything be done to fix it or am I SOL ?

Thank you.

So this attached project crashes on your tablet?
WebBrowser_CrashTest.hrp (7.6 KB)

I own an old Amazon Fire Lollipop tablet so I should be able to test this fairly easily.

Yes that test project crashes the app on the tablet also.

Thanks.

I tested that project on both my old Amazon fire & Nexus 10. That project worked on both of those devices. My Nexus 10 is running 5.1.1 so I don’t think this has anything to do with the Android version.

Check to see if you have the System WebView component installed.

Android System WebView was not installed no.

I’ve installed it and now its working and no longer crashes.

Thank you.