Side Loading HR

If I sideload Home Remote onto an NVIDIA Shield (Runs latest Android TV) what problems will I get?

I don’t know. I myself have never tested it on Android TV.

Ah, ok. I thought you might have tried it. Will experiment. From experience of sideloading there are two main problems:

1. TVs are landscape by default and apps can be rotated wrong
  2. control is designed for touch not remote so you can end up using a Bluetooth mouse.
    Other than that 95% work.

Just for anyone who stumbles on this page:
It does work but a mouse is required at points

I used ‘Aptoide TV’ to install Home Remote on my NVIDIA Shield. Pretty sure I got that via Downloader (in play store) direct from the aptoide th website.

I have connected:
eWelink
Wemo
SmartLife

The only issues are

1. app does not appear in Apps. Go to settings>Apps>all-apps
    2 extra clicks. Sideload launcher would probably solve it. I don’t know how it decides which apps to put there. For instance, Aptoide TV was sideloaded but is there.
  2. occasionally a mouse is needed to navigate the page rather than the TV remote. My impression is that it does not like small numbers of rows, so for instance to get to the save icon a mouse is needed (NVIDIA shield has BlueTooth already) or when I had a group of only 1 row I could not navigate with remote.

The good part is it is landscape already. I was expecting to have to download an extra app to rotate it.

So 99% there already without any extra coding.

Edited to add: I did the same on an Amazon firestick 4K and loaded it using Aptoide. Again it appeared in Landscape and this time it appeared in my apps. Control with a remote was harder though; you definitely need a mouse. Worked though.

Both Android TV are running latest OS and Aptoide TV updates Home Remote (10 Feb 21).