Using volume Slider with Roku Sound bar

Hello, I am using a Roku sound bar. I can control it with the roku plugin but my question is how can I use the volume slider? when I go to set the value of the slider The Roku device binding does not have a Roku.volume or Roku.mute like my sonos device does for example. Is there a way I can make this work? Sorry if this is really simple I am still learning how to use the software. Thanks in advance.

I don’t think you’ll be able to get the Roku volume working with a Slider.

There are 2 important things missing from the control protocol to make this possible:

1. We’d need the ability to send discrete values.
  2. We’d need the ability to read the current value

To the best of my knowledge, the Roku External Control Protocol doesn’t provide either of those capabilities. It only has VolumeUp, VolumeDown, & VolumeMute commands.

I was afraid of that! Are there any sound bars that you know of that have those capabilities that wil work with home remote? looking for something a little cheaper than Sonos LOL

Denon HEOS, Sonos, & Yamaha MusicCast sound bars should all be compatible. None of them are cheap though. Looks like you’re gonna spend at least $400.

Yamaha has some cheaper non-MusicCast ones but those likely aren’t compatible. I believe those are using an unsupported API.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if those 2 functions are possible with the Roku API. It’s just that they haven’t been documented yet. Or at least not that I’ve seen.

Got it! Thank you so much for the fast reply!!! I wish I was capable of implementing those features!

One option I forgot to mention. Any sound bar with Chromecast built-in should work. There are probably quite a few options there. Here’s a Polk Audio system I found for $250.

https://www.google.com/chromecast/built-in/audio/

Cool Thanks I will look into these! Again appreciate the quick response!