Zigbee RGB bulbs XY only no HS, can't change colours

Hi

I recently added some Zigbee 3.0 bulbs in my bedroom that are connected to my Philips Hue bridge.

In the Philips Hue app I can group all 3 lights and change their colours together, so if I select Red they all turn red etc.

However in the Home Remote app only one of the lights changes colour the other 2 lights do not.

If I don’t use the Hue Group in Home Remote and instead individually control these lights in Home Remote, then I am able to use the colour wheel picker OK to change their colours. So it just seems to be a problem with the Hue Group.

Here is the Hue Group in Designer:

Here are the 3 lights in the Group

The Philips Hue scenes work OK, like Arctic Aurora and Savanna Sunset etc and all 3 lights change colour.

But the colour picker wheel only the LED light strip changes colour the two side lamp bulbs do not.

Any ideas what to check ?

These are the 3 lights in the Designer:

I have another Philips Hue Group in Home Remote for my lounge room and that seems to work OK and all lights change to the same colour OK when using the colour wheel picker.

Thank you.

The 1st thing I usually recommend users do when there are device issues like this is to take the Designer out of the equation. Reset the app to default settings & add the device directly to the app to see if it works. I like eliminating the possibility of a configuration error in custom HRP files. Attached is a SettingsReset.hrp for you. After you’ve loaded it on your Android device, link Hue to the app directly & see if you can control your Bedroom group.
SettingsReset.hrp (1.3 KB)

I still haven’t gotten this particular Hue group to change colours together.

I have 3 lights in this Hue group.

1 x YSRSAI Model ZB-CL01 - This is running a RGBW LED strip

2x TZ3000_odygigth Model TS0505A

aka Lidl / LivarnoLux RGB E14 bulb.

The only light that changes colour when using the colour picker for the GROUP is the LED light strip, the two side lamps do not change colour at all.

If I use the white temperature picker instead, then all three lights change to different whites OK.

If I go to the individual devices proper in Home Remote, I can use the colour picker on the devices own details page and the colours for the lamps change fine. So why not when using the group ?

In the Hue app I removed the LED strip and one of the lamps, leaving just one lamp in the group.

I then deleted this group from the Home Remote designer and synced the Philips Hue bridge device again so the group was reimported.

When I then attempt to change the groups colour in Home Remote app nothing happens the lamp doesn’t change colour.

So I then deleted the group again from the Home Remote designer, in the Philips Hue app I removed the last remaining light from the group and it said all Scenes and Accessories would be lost etc.

Using the Clip API to connect to the Hue Bridge I manually deleted this group completely off the bridge. Its group ID was 5.

In the Hue app I then created the Room (Group) again and added my three lights again. I test in the Philips Hue app that I can change the colour of all three lights at the same time and I can OK.

Looking at the Clip API its assigned this new group to ID 3 this time, ID 3 was previously not assigned / used.

In the Home Remote designer I then synced again to reimport the new group.

Using the Clip API tool I can confirm the Members ID numbers 12, 13, 14 are the correct ones for the lights in this room.

I then tried to use the colour picker in the group again in the Designer app emulator and again only the 1 light changes colour the LED light strip. The two side lamps don’t change colour at all.

So I am back to square one again.

Thanks

Group commands are sent out to a single “group” endpoint. It’s not sending them out individually to each light. So it shouldn’t matter what Members are in the Group. It’s only using the Group Id when it sends commands. It’s strange how your Group commands would work in the official Hue app but not Home Remote.

I have another Hue group in another room, that group in Home Remote works perfectly fine, I can use the colour picker and all the lights in the lounge change colour at the same time.

However this new group in my bedroom I can’t get it to work for some reason for the colour picker in Home Remote.

@bill

I’ve just realised something quite important ! And things are stranger still.

In the Android app when I go to my bedroom room, the two side lamps I see and control and that work OK for changing colours with the colour wheel. They are coming from Vera not Philips Hue bridge.

The bulbs are not paired directly to Vera they are paired with the Hue bridge. But in Vera I am also using the AltHue Plugin to control Hue lights via the Hue API etc.

Looks like the devices I added to my room are the Vera ones.

This is a Vera device one of the Zigbee light bulbs.

As I say this works in the Home Remote app I can go to its details page and change its colours OK.

Vera device instances shown on this screen shot.

Now if I go to the Hue Group instead in the app.

These are the Philips Hue versions of the same lamps.

If I click the 3 dots on one of these and go to the colour wheel that does not work. The lamp does not change colour.

Philips Hue instances shown on this screen shot.

This is really confusing.

So the Vera instance of these Zigbee RGB bulbs work, I can change the colours using the colour picker in the Home Remote app.

However the Philips Hue instance of these same Zigbee RGB bulbs don’t work and I cannot change their colours using the colour picker in the Home Remote app.

This is the Vera instance:

This is the Philips Hue instance:

As a work around is it possible to create a control “Group” using three Vera RGB lights? instead of the Philips Hue ones that aren’t working for some reason.

Thanks

Perhaps there is something unusual about these particular Zigbee RGB bulbs ?

Here is an output of one from the Clip API.

{
	"state": {
		"on": true,
		"bri": 254,
		"hue": 22235,
		"sat": 254,
		"effect": "none",
		"xy": [
		],
		"ct": 367,
		"alert": "select",
		"colormode": "xy",
		"mode": "homeautomation",
		"reachable": true
	},
	"swupdate": {
		"state": "notupdatable",
		"lastinstall": null
	},
	"type": "Extended color light",
	"name": "Masterbed Lamp Left",
	"modelid": "TS0505A",
	"manufacturername": "_TZ3000_odygigth",
	"productname": "Extended color light",
	"capabilities": {
		"certified": false,
		"control": {
			"colorgamuttype": "other",
			"ct": {
				"min": 0,
				"max": 65535
			}
		},
		"streaming": {
			"renderer": false,
			"proxy": false
		}
	},
	"config": {
		"archetype": "tableshade",
		"function": "mixed",
		"direction": "omnidirectional"
	},
	"uniqueid": "58:8e:81:ff:fe:f6:58:07-01",
	"swversion": ""
}

And here is an output of the LED strip light controller. This one (Philips Hue instance) does work OK with the colour picker in the Home Remote app.

{
		"on": true,
		"bri": 255,
		"hue": 64095,
		"sat": 219,
		],
		"ct": 367,
		"colormode": "hs",
	},
		"lastinstall": "2020-12-18T15:37:32"
	},
	"name": "Master Bed Lights",
	"modelid": "ZB-CL01",
	"manufacturername": "YSRSAI",
				"min": 160,
				"max": 370
			}
		},
		}
	},
		"archetype": "huelightstrip",
	},
	"uniqueid": "00:12:4b:00:22:67:5e:9b-01",
	"swversion": "1.0.7"
}

I don’t know why the Vera AltHue plugin can control and change the colours OK for these Zigbee RGB bulbs but Home Remote cannot.

That’s a lot of information, my take away from all of this is that it isn’t a Group issue like you originally reported? You can’t control the Zigbee RGB bulbs individually from Home Remote either?

1. It’s not a group issue like I originally reported.

2. I cannot individually control the Zigbee RGB bulbs colour in Home Remote, if using the Philips Hue Bridge instance of the bulb.

3. I can turn on / off the RGB bulb Ok in Home Remote, using the Philips Hue instance of the bulb.

4. I can also control the white temperature of the RGB bulb Ok in Home Remote, using the Philips Hue instance of the bulb.

Thanks for the bullet points. Not sure I really have an answer for you on why it’s not working.

Can you use the “Software Update” button in the Hue app to make sure you have the latest firmware on your bridge & bulbs?

The latest bridge firmware is 1942135050

I can tell you now its not the very latest firmware version on the bridge, as I have auto updates turned off.

It’s probably the bridge firmware version prior to the last one released.

I noticed today in the Hue app, there was an update for it, but as I couldnt see any release notes for it, I didn’t update it.

I do not trust Philips to break or brick something on purpose.

I will update the bridge and try again.

The bulbs are 3rd party so there won’t be any updates for them.

Just updated the bridge to 1942135050.

No change, still cannot change the colour of these two bulbs.

Thanks.

The Hue API has 2 different ways of changing the color: xy & hs mode. The Home Remote uses “hs” (hue/saturation) to make changes. The only thing I can of is that maybe these bulbs require “xy” for changes. I do see that the ALTHue plugin is using “xy” to make its color changes. Maybe I can change Home Remote in a future release to use xy instead. Or possibly add an option to choose the color mode.

https://developers.meethue.com/develop/hue-api/lights-api/#set-light-state

I was just thinking along the same lines as you then.

However looking at some of my other 3rd party LED strip controllers, they also say:

“colormode”: “xy”,

For example this is an expensive Dresden FLS-PP ballast for controlling RGBW LED strips.

{
		"on": false,
		"bri": 1,
		"hue": 56832,
		"sat": 75,
		],
		"ct": 201,
		"colormode": "xy",
	},
		"lastinstall": null
	},
	"name": "TV Backlight",
	"modelid": "FLS-PP3",
	"manufacturername": "dresden elektronik",
				"min": 153,
				"max": 500
			}
		},
		}
	},
		"archetype": "huelightstrip",
	},
	"uniqueid": "00:21:2e:ff:ff:01:4e:4f-0a",
	"swversion": "020E.201000A0"
}

So presumably even though its reporting XY maybe it can also do HS ?

Because I can change the colours of this LED strip OK using the Home Remote app.

All Philips Hue connected lights should support both “xy” & “hs”. I’m just guessing here that these ones you are having issues with, for whatever reason, only support “xy”.

I see, well its probably a good guess then.

I have just opened the old Imperihome app which I haven’t been using. I imported the new lights from the Hue bridge and I can’t seem to change the colours on those two RGB bulbs either with Imperihome.

No idea about the inner workings of Imperihome, but maybe it uses HS as well rather than XY.

I guess this is what you get for buying cheap Zigbee bulbs from a super market, not my normal style, but wanted to try them.

There are some detailed specs of this bulb here.

It states:

xy: true
hs: false

Any news about maybe also adding support for XY colour mode?

For Zigbee bulbs that only support XY and not HS colour mode.

Thanks

Not yet. I’ll try to work on it next month. I don’t think I’m going to have time to add it to the next release.

1 Like

Hello friends, has anyone been successful in integrating HR with Zigbee2mqtt ?