Running THR on WoA11 / CrossOver (virtualization on Apple Silicon)

I haven’t had to use the designer for a good while now, but I need to go in to make some changes.

Previously, I ran THR designer in a virtualized Windows machine on an Intel Mac, but that system has since gone away and has been replaced by an M1 Pro.

I’m about to give it a go to set up on WoA11 or CrossOver (wine); do any others have some experiences (preferably positive) in this regard?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
LJR

I installed Parallels for Mac and ran Windows ARM with THR and it worked pretty well.

I’m very curious about how the others work out

/keith

Interesting…can you confirm which version of Windows for Arm you’re running? I’m using the VMWare Tech Preview and WoA 11, and when I click on the “Get the app >” button, Edge just downloads it and it needs a file association to run.

I then tried to install via PowerShell using the App-AppxPackage command (using the downloaded .msixbundle package from the Additional Links drop-down). Windows claims it’s installed, but clicking on the icon does nothing.

.NET 6.0.1 is installed; am wondering if there are other dependencies I need to manually install first (?).

(P.S. I did get confirmation that doing this with CrossOver isn’t possible)

Edit: I since found this thread which makes me believe Windows 11 isn’t supported: Download page not working?

EDIT 2: Updated to latest .NET

Update: After struggling to get Windows 10 for Arm installed, I managed to get it running under Parallels as well. Funny thing - THR still won’t run.

On Windows 11, the Event Viewer says that it can find, but can’t load, one of the .NET dlls. I tried to check on the Windows 10 installation, but Windows is blocking all access to the Event Viewer.

So @Keith_Roberts - if you can provide more details on how you got it up and running, along with the specific version/build of Windows you’re using, that would be awesome.

You now need the .NET Desktop Runtime 6.0. You should see a prompt displaying the exact version you need when you try to launch the app. And Windows 11 is supported. Read the entire thread in that discussion. The user that was having issues because .NET wasn’t installed.

image001

If you are on a ARM machine, this is the runtime you need:

Hey @bill thanks for jumping in!

I have in fact done that (just failed to update the original post). .NET v6.0.1 (desktop runtime). Still no dice.

Error in Application log states loosely that it can find the 6.0.1\hostfxr.dll but can’t load it. Error 0x800700C1

Are you having issues with the installer or the app itself?

When you try to launch the installer, do you see a message confirming that the app is installed? Do you see a screenshot like this?

I do not see that screenshot on Win11, but I did on 10 (in that case, clicking on the launch button would do nothing).

In the case of Win 11, I haven’t been able to launch the installer after downloading / running the app link.

Have you been able to install other apps from the Microsoft Store?

Sounds like your appinstaller might be corrupt.

The Designer is actually in the Microsoft Store as well but it’s an older version. Does that install correctly?

I think you’re on to something. The Microsoft Store app doesn’t appear to be installed for some reason. I tried to run wsreset.exe and it comes up with an error that I need a new app to open this ms-windows-store link.

I’ll investigate this further and will try after I get the Store app resolved.

(While this might be the root cause for the Windows 11 install, it doesn’t explain the issue on Windows 10. But I’ll tackle one problem at a time :slight_smile:).

Your other option is to bypass the installer & just copy the application folder to your desktop or wherever. Nested deep within the “Package Bundle”, which is found in the Additional Links section, is the application folder.

Ok I made some progress, but the end result unfortunately remains the same.

• I was able to restore the missing Microsoft Store (by running wsreset -i in a powershell as admin).
  • From there, I was able to install and run the Store version of THR 3.x without issue.
  • I then installed App Installer from the store, which allowed me to install the most recent release from the web page via the .appinstaller file
  • However, when running, it still fails to open with the same error in the Application log.

I’ve not run on ARM setup in a while, and just checked it still works … and it did. I’m running Windows 11. I had been on Windows 10/ARM and did the upgrade and remember I had trouble getting THR running again. I think it was that .NET install that tripped me up, and I might have installed the wrong variant … it needed to be the Desktop version.

What’s interesting now - I rebooted the VM and now THR won’t start and asking for .NET runtime 6.0.0 (x64) to be installed. I’ll keep poking at it

I mistakenly first installed the ARM version of .NET and of course it didn’t work. Ran the windowsdesktop-runtime-6.0.1-win-x64 installer and THR ran fine. Windows did ask me if THR could access the network, to which I allowed

/keith

1 Like

@Keith_Roberts you are a scholar and a gentleman. While it’s counterintuitive, the x64 version did the trick for me, too.

I’m not an expert by any means, but it does appear Windows is running it as an x64 emulation and not as a native Arm64 app.

Thank you again, @Keith_Roberts!

1 Like