REST API to control the app

I’m using Imperihome at the moment but hey seem to have disapeared from the face of the earth…
Home Remote seems like the best option for me in terms of compatibility.
What I am using a lot is the REST API of the app that they have to activate the tablets and perform certain actions like the following:

• Wake up the tablet
  • Reset the sleep timer
  • Go to sleep
  • Activate a certain page in the app
  • Open a camera stream
  • Play a sound (like the doorbell)
  • tts

Any chance you could add this? :slight_smile:

These 2 items will be possible with the Designer in the 3.10.0 release. I’m still working on finishing that up. I hope to have it published sometime today.

1 Like

Having a REST API to make the app respond to external webhooks would be huge. :+1:

My first goal would be to have a Call Display Popup for phonecalls.

So, how does one access this new feature?
I’m assuming you mean 3.10.1?

It’s not really a REST API but you can now perform automated page navigation. With Scenes you can monitor a certain condition & when that evaluates to True, it’ll execute the Actions of that Scene. An example use-case would be monitoring a doorbell & when it is pressed, open the doorbell camera page.

More details about Scenes & page navigation are available in the posts below.

Oh I see, cool but unfortunately I need the REST API. :slight_smile:
I have my camera system that triggers tablets when motion is detected, not something I can check with a scene in home remote to my knowledge.
Still, nice work on that.

Are you saying I can monitor a Doorbird doorbell? I don’t see this in the supported devices.

Why don’t you just add your motion sensor to the Home Remote?

If that’s accessible then that’s all you need. I mentioned a doorbell for that earlier use-case but a motion sensor can just as easily activate a Scene. I don’t know what type of home automation controller you have, but the status of motion sensors is supported for most systems.

I’m actually working on a Doorbird integration this week. The camera streams are already supported by the IP Camera device. What this integration will add is motion sensor & doorbell pressed events.

Motion detection by the camera system (Blue Iris), not a motion sensor.
Yes, if have rooms with motion sensors, but not outside.
So I hope you still consider adding the REST API. :slight_smile:

So “doorbell pressed events” that means direct action when the doorbell is pressed or only the history?
The motion sensor on the Doorbird is terrible in my situation so I can’t use that either.
I don’t know how you are integrating Doorbird but I know there is a limit of devices you can link with it, and it’s not that many. I’m working with 6 tablets and I think the limit is 5, so that’s not even with the smartphones included. :frowning:

EDIT: oh and none of my motion sensors are showing up in Home remote so, there’s that :frowning:
Fibaro home center 3 with Aeotec & Fibaro motion sensors, I haven’t looked into it yet though.

Direct action. When monitoring doorbell & motionsensor, the docs say “There are up to 8 concurrent Streams allowed”. So 6 of your tablets could listen for changes.

I’m not sure why your Fibaro motion sensors aren’t showing up. Can you please email me the JSON from the request below?
http://IPADDRESS/api/devices

Replace IPADDRESS with the IP of your HC3 controller. My email is support@thehomeremote.com

Is there a way to trigger a Scene by a webhook call generated by an external system?

All I can think of is using a separate server, where the webhook modifies a flag, and that flag is continuously monitored by an HR device plugin (generating lots of traffic)

Why not use MQTT or a WebSocket?

You aren’t limited to only HTTP REST calls in a plugin. You can use a protocol that doesn’t require polling.

Ha! will need to expand my knowledge for that. Have an example project using a websocket that I could study?
Thanks!

Yes. There’s a simple Echo example in the docs you can study.

1 Like